Recently I made a new friend. Big surprise right, shy Josey talking to strangers timidly asking one or maybe two questions just to avoid being a wallflower.
You should know by now what an obnoxious boisterous orb of glowing goofiness I am, meeting new people EV-ER-Y-WHERES!
So, here's the next big thing. Adventure Engagement Sessions with Lumos Photography. Laura explains just what an adventure engagement session is and why you should consider it for your wedding engagement photos.
Okay Laura, explain why it is that you choose to have your engagement sessions be adventures...
Adventure sessions are included in every collection because they are a VITAL part of the entire wedding photography process!
Do you ever look at engagement photos and feel like they’re all the same? Happy couple. In love. Kissing and holding hands. Usually in front of a generic backdrop.
>>YES, YES I DO<<
There’s usually not much to say about their relationship, personality or unique love story. The photos show that they are an attractive couple and they are in love, but nothing really more specific.
In 30 years when that couple is showing their engagement photos to their kids, they won’t know much about their parents love story before they got married based on their engagement photos. They won’t know how they enjoyed spending their time, how he proposed, or what their favorite date night spot was. The photos will show what their parents looked like but not what their parents were like.
PERSONALLY, I'D RATHER HAVE PHOTOS THAT TELL A STORY AND THAT SHOW OFF THEIR ADVENTURES.
- You can interact candidly while doing something you love.
- You’ll still get great traditional portraits but they’ll look more natural since you’ll be relaxed.
- It’s way less pressure than a typical session. You’ll have so much fun you’ll forget you’re being photographed!
- Your engagement photos won’t be generic and boring!
- The photos will tell your unique story and represent your relationship.
This session will make a HUGE impact on how your wedding day flows, because I arrive on your the big day already knowing how you two interact, what your best poses are and how to photograph you in a genuine way! You’ll feel like such a pro because of the great practice you had during your engagement session with me.
Love it! Okay so what does the session entail specifically?
Adventure sessions are essentially you and your fiancé going on date doing something you love and me tagging along to capture it! You’ll pick your activity and location (I’ll provide ideas and guidance) and we’ll hang out and get some great shots. It can be as simple as making some popcorn and popping in a movie at home or as elaborate as going on a hot air balloon ride. The goal is to represent this stage of your relationship and what you like doing together.
A lot of photographers say that the more awkward the pose feels, the better the photo will look. I say that if you are doing something you enjoy and you’re comfortable with the person taking the photos, your best and most natural self will shine through in the pictures.
Adventure sessions are included in all of my wedding collections because they're vital to the process. They'll help you and your fiancé get comfortable in front of the camera and with working together so the photos aren't something you'll be nervous for on your wedding day. You'll already have practiced, and you'll know what to expect.
I’ll help you figure out the perfect setting and activity for your adventure session but here are 20 Adventure Engagement Session Ideas to get you started:
- Wine or beer tasting
- Motorcycle ride
- Amusement Park
- County or State Fair
- Kayaking/stand up paddle boarding
- Popcorn and a movie
- Game night
- Bike riding around the lake
- A beach
- Coffee Shop
- Ice cream shop
- Trampoline Park
- Painting class
- Antique Car Show
I LOVE it when couples pick a location that is special or sentimental to them in some way! Like where you had your first date, a favorite hang out spot or the location of your proposal.
Perfect! How does one get ready for an engagement session in general?
It’s always a little intimidating to have your picture taken .... even if it’s just a photo on an iPhone that is taken by a friend, we still want to look nice, make sure nothing is in our teeth and that our hair is under control! I realize that preparing for your engagement session can be a little overwhelming. Here are some tips for outfits and accessories that will make the preparation a little more manageable!
- Don’t MATCH...pick outfits and accessories that coordinate instead and colors that compliment each other.
- Accessorize and make your outfits your own! Scarves, bold necklaces and fun shoes are always welcomed!
- Most patterns and graphics are not recommended. If you’re wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting.
- Empty your pockets! Literally. You don’t want to have key chains or phones showing through your pockets. (This is for you guys especially!)
- Make sure you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing and you LOVE the way you feel in it.
- BE ON TIME! The sun is only out for so long! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot! You also don’t want to start out the shoot being frazzled. It’ll show in the photos!
- Clean the ring! I love to shoot a few rings shots while you change outfits. The cleaner the better!
- Relax! You don’t have to be a pro at this! I’m going to help you along the way and it’s going to be a blast! Enjoy this time together and make a date out of it. Plan dinner afterwards at your favorite place and celebrate!!
Don't you just adore this idea?! I mean, the only thing I would add? Schedule your hair and makeup consultation in the AM so you look your absolute best and feel like a smokin' hot piece of A for the shoot. Go ahead, pamper yourself and splurge in honor of your love!
Prosperity, Love & Happiness,